When I was little, my grandma almost always came to have Sunday lunch with us, and every now and then when I’d go to bed at night I’d find a little treat under my pillow. Nothing much, a piece of candy or picture or a little treasure she found in her attic that she knew would make me smile. She was a very thoughtful woman, my grandma. Easter Sunday was probably one of her favorite days of the year, and so, with Easter coming up this Sunday, I thought I’d put a little collection of images that remind me of those sunny Sunday treats and other happy memories of her.
Happy Wednesday, friends!
You might also like:
It’s Friday, friends, want to do the happy dance with me? Any fun plans for you? So happy it’s the weekend, even though we’ll spend most of it cleaning up around the house before my in-laws arrive from Denmark on Sunday. Whatever, I don’t really mind because I am still on a high from our lovely birthday celebration/babymoon/last family of 4 gateway weekend to Santa Cruz.
Have any of you guys ever been to Santa Cruz? We’d been wanting to go ever since we moved to California, and had such a great time! We went in without much of a plan, ate way too much bad food, enjoyed the sun and these little girls of ours. We went to the famous Santa Cruz boardwalk (I’m sure you must have seen pics of it on Pinterest) and had a blast. I mean, hello funky colorful rides straight out of the 80s 😉
We also did a lot of chilling by the pool because, well, there ain’t any baby stopping us right now! It will be a different story in a few weeks 😉 I read my favorite magazines and ordered one (virgin) drink after another and totally forgot about the busyness of the world. I hardly saw the girls because they spent the entire time swimming around with their dad. Little Fish they are I don’t think that Madeline removed her sunglasses for a minute the entire weekend, even to go in the water. Child, you are so funny.
On Sunday we cruised along the coast and stopped at one of my favorite places on Earth, Swanton strawberry farm – we went there for the first time last fall after our camping trip and we couldn’t drive by and not stop. That place is so good for the soul. You make your won change. You hang out and play game. You find dollar bills that say “Not to be used for bribing politicians”. Oh, and you eat yummy strawberry everything- fresh strawberries, strawberry shortcake, strawberry lemonade.
Every time we step out of the Bay area (which is beautiful itself), we have to keep pinching ourselves that we actually live here, in this gorgeous region. Instant vacation feeling wherever we drive. We can’t wait to explore California some more.
Thank you Santa Cruz – you were so good to us!
You might also like:
As if putting together baby’s nursery wasn’t enough (more about that here and here), I’ve also decided to do a little “refresh” in our upstairs bathroom. welcome to the journals of a mad nesting woman 😉 I never did much to our bathroom when we moved to Berkeley last summer, and just want to make it ours.
The house we’re renting is an old craftsman’s house, and I don’t think this bathroom hasn’t been changed since it was originally built. Even though you can feel the years, it has some great features – amazing natural light coming from two skylight windows, a gorgeous claw-foot bathtub (that I’d probably paint a crazy color if it was mine)…and then there is all that wood paneling on the walls! Pretty…but a tiny bit too much wood for me. Also, not a big fan of the counter tiles, but also something I can’t change. So accessorizing (without breaking the bank, ha!) and DIYing it’s going to be!
I want to give this bathroom a slight “tropical” feel – adding touches of red and pink, and lots of green via plants. And white, duh, loads of that! Here are some of my favorite bathroom accessories right now. What would you do if your bathroom had so much wood? Would you embrace the wood goodness, or change it up?
1. Toothbrush holder at Nine Space. |2. Medicine storage box by Present Time |3. Wood toothbrushes via Urban Outfitters.|4. Tissue house via CB2 |5. Fouta towels at Nine Space.|6. Soap stones via Jayson Home.|7. Rug via One Kings Lane. |8. Towel rack at West Elm.
You might also like:
Have you guys ever tried using removable wallpaper? I put removable wallpaper on a couple of walls in our home, and I’m addicted now, so I thought I’d share a bit about my experience and a few tips – but before I do that, don’t forget to enter the giveaway, today’s the last day!
When we moved in, our landlord told us that we could paint the walls if we wanted to, but that we’d have to paint them back when we leave. It didn’t take me long to decide agains painting – one paint job I can handle, but two? Especially since our walls have loads of wood trims and little corners. So instead I decided to give removable wallpaper a try. I created one accent wall in our living room with this gorgeous yellow wallpaper by Holly Zollinger, and I also wanted to make a bold statement in our entrance and used this gorgeous “farmer’s market” wallpaper by Chrissie Van Hoever.
Obviously, I went bold and colorful with my choices of wallpaper – but you could also go more subtle. There are so many options out there now . You can find wallpaper here, here and also here among other places, depending on what kind you want. But my very favorite place to shop for removable wallpaper is by far Spoonflower – so many options, and they have an easy calculator that helps you customize how many rolls you need for your needs, score! Of course, all these options can be a little intimidating at first, but you can easily search by color and trends, so you should be able to narrow things down. Here are some of my favorite Spoonflower wallpapers right now:
Take a look around and I dare you not to find something you like. Which wallpaper would you go for?
Now, this was my very first time putting up wallpaper in my home, and let’s just say that I went “free style” a bit more than I should have. Things turned out fine in the end, and I love the result, but thought I’d my 5 tips for decorating with removable wallpapers:
1. Dare! The best part of removable wallpaper is that, well, it’s removable. Perfect for people with commitment issues like me! You don’t like it? You can easily take it down! So allow yourself to go bold, and try something fun and a bit unexpected!
2. Find the right pattern:To find the best pattern for what you want to do, you’ll need to consider style (do you like floral prints, or do you prefer geometric?), colors and scale. Now I could write an entire post on that, but here is the most important: before you select your wallpaper, you need to have a clear idea where the wallpaper is going to go in your home. Large patterns generally don’t look good in a small room because they tend to overpower the space and make it seem smaller. Color-wise, dark colors with make your room seem smaller, but wallpaper with a light background will have the opposite effect.
3. Don’t have even walls? That’s ok! The walls in our rental home have loads of pumps, the plastering is really irregular – but I used this strippable lining under the wallpaper and then applied the wallpaper – worked like a charm! You can’t see any of the bumps at all now
4. Do a little research: If you’re trying yourself at wallpaper for the first time, do a little reading first 😉 Removable wallpaper might be easy to take down, but it takes as much work to put up as regular wallpaper. Not that hard, but you will want to make sure that you learn the tricks of the trade before diving into it. You can start your reading here.
So, did I convince any of you to give it a try? What do you think, would you go for it? Really, there are tons of ways you can use removable wallpaper to give your home some personality, and I’ll try to show you guys some more ideas in the weeks to come! Happy Wednesday, friends
Credits: Photography by This Little Street. Removable wallpapers via Spoonflower. Green couch from Ikea. Lamp from CB2. Frames by Framed and Matted. Lion jacket by Little Goodall. Slippers by Collegien. Dachshund pillow by Kate Durkin.
You might also like:
Happy Tuesday, friends! I don’t know if it’s the effect of Easter and Spring and all these pink, green and blue rabbits I see everywhere in the stores, but I’ve so into pastel colors right now. Are you feeling it too? Loving the gorgeous pistachio kitchen (where these dishes clearly belong) in this amazing Australian beach house. The owners kept things really simple, there isn’t a whole lot of furniture around the home, but they threw in the right punches of color here and there to give to personality. And my oh my, that staircase with windows from floor to ceiling? A dream!
With while I hang out by that gorgeous green kitchen island, I’ll have some of these dreamy pistachio and white chocolate cupcakes = I know, cupcakes again but really, what is better than cupcakes, you tell me?!! I’ll have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner thank-you-very-much.
You might also like:
Hi friends, how was your weekend? We went to Santa Cruz this weekend to celebrate my birthday – I sipped some pretty pink drinks and hung out with squirrels, among other things 😉 Pics coming up this laster this week. In the meantime, Easter is coming up so I though I’d get you and your little bunnies going with some fun DIYs – talking about bunnies, have you entered the giveaway yet? Happy Monday, friends!
1. Prettiest Easter eggs |2. Origami bunny treat box by Mini Eco. |3. Bunny wreath by The House that Lars Built. |4. Mr & Mrs Eggs by Penelope & Pip.|5. Egg on a shelf by Mer Mag |6. Carrot cake in Sunde Soede Sager by Ditte Ingeman.
You might also like:
That’s right, today it’s my birthday, it’s my birthday, I’m gonna party like it’s my birthday. Well, I am gonna party like a pregnant lady really – that means putting my feet way up, stuffing my face with loads of cake and reading my favorite magazine. I party hard core. Later today we’ll head down to Santa Cruz for a little family adventure. Anyway, since today is my day, I thought I’d share 20 things you (probably) don’t know about me. Why 20? Well, duh, don’t I look not a day older than when I turned 20?! 😉
1. Hubby and I got married only 9 months after we met. And 7 of those months we had been dating long distance between Ireland and New York. Talk about crazy young kids That was 6 years and (almost) 3 kids ago. And I still love him more and more every days that passes.
2. I dream of traveling to Iceland and Cuba. These two islands have been on my mind for years now, but between all of our moves and babies, we just haven’t found the right time. But someday these trips will happen and they will be epic Have you ever been to any of these places?
3. I’ve tried to learn 7 languages in my life….and not sure I am speak of them well 😉 French (of course), English, German in junior high and high school, Spanish (actually have a minor in Spanish but I can barely order my tacos right at the local taqueria. The shame of it), Danish after meeting my hubby, and I also took some Japanese and Russian classes when I was in college, you know, for the heck of it.
4. I am probably the most non-French French girl you’ll ever meet. I don’t smoke. I don’t drink coffee. I don’t go on strike – the glass is always half full to me. And I do shave my armpits 😉 Haha but no kidding. It’s kinda strange to be raised in a country, know that it’s forever a part of you, that it fundamentally shaped who you are, but at the same time to feel like an outsider.
5. My birthday is 4/4, my older sister’s birthday is 7/7 so my parents were a bit disappointed when my younger brother was born 6/20. Come on, how cool would it have been to have three kids with birthdays of the same digits.
6. I don’t read too many novels because I get way too involved in the story and characters once I start reading a book I like. It’s like their life becomes part of mine, they become people I “know” and think about them all the time. It’s obsessive really, way to intense and consuming – and I can’t get anything else done because all I want is finding it out what happens to them.
7. I’ve got a tattoo. A sun of the right side of my lower back. Hubby calls it the tramp stamp I got it when I was only 18 and probably wouldn’t get the same thing anymore. but at least since its’ in my back and I never see it, I just forget it’s there.
8. I am not a phone person. At all. I’ll email all day and night and don’t feel a bit shy to contact people I don’t know via email, but phone calls, forget it – super uncomfortable for me unless I am talking to my very best friends. And so I don’t check my phone regularly. And I’ll often run out of battery. And that drives my husband crazy!
9. I always want to be more. I have an amazing husband. Adorable little girls. A flexible (but super busy) schedule that always me to stay creative and still spend time with my kids. But a lot of times I feel I’m not doing enough, that there is more that I can do/be than what I’m doing right now. I am so happy with my life, but my brain can’t help it but keep looking up and above. Does that make sense?
10. If I could have a career redo, I’d want to study design and become a designer or interior decorator….they say it’s never too late?
11. I am just starting to come to terms with my freckles. You can’t tell on most of my pictures, but I have a LOT of them. Use to hate them – I guess mostly because as a kids I felt so different than anyone else. I love them on other people, just having a harder time liking them on myself 😉
12. I love skiing. Been a skier since I was a little girl and would give anything to be able to ski again. But I’ve already had 2 knee surgeries (due to a skiing accident), and it looks like I’ll have to have a third one in the future – so no slopes for me anymore!
13. I drink Earl Grey tea at home and Chai lattes at coffee shops. That’s it. Boring maybe, but oh do they hit the spot every time.
14. Somehow, part of me always knew, even as a child and when I hadn’t set a foot outside of France, that my children would grow up to speak more than one language.
15. I used to teach salsa dancing (Rueda de casino actually) when I was in college. Learning to dance salsa was probably one of the most fun things I ever did in my life – the music, the steps, the amazing people I met…sadly I haven’t danced in years now! Something’s gonna have to be done about that.
16. I’m one of the clumsiest person you’ll ever meet. I frequently run into glass doors, trip on steps and hit the corners of the furniture in our house. Among other things. I also forget things everywhere I do – good thing my hubby and friends know me and always have my back 😉
17. I’ve lived 4 different countries (France, USA, Ireland and Denmark) and 4 different states (AZ, WA, NY and CA). I’ve moved about every year or two in the past 8 years. Mostly, that means I got really good at packing and unpacking, people
18. I live for dinner parties. I love having people over (or being invited!) and eat yummy food around our big table, while sipping on wine and having great conversations with friends late into the night. It’s something that French people do A LOT, and it sticked with me. When we lived in New York, our apartment was super duper tiny, but I had to have a table that could sit 8 people.
19. Gin and tonic kinda girl. Enough said.
20. I get real creative highs – who needs drugs when you’ve got hot glue guns?! 😉 seriously though, I feel happiest, most relaxed and inspired when I’m creating things – and I can get completely lost in the creative process.
Now, what I would love from you, my dear readers, on my birthday – is a little comment. Tell me something fascinating about yourself. Tell me – what you are passionate about?! Where do you dream of going on vacation? It would make my day to read a little bit about you
PS: oh – and don’t forget to enter the giveaway here!
You might also like:
Happy Wednesday, friends! How about a little giveaway today – it’s been a while, right?! Today Molly of Little Goodall is giving away one of her super-duper cute bunny jacket (value $149) to celebrate the release of her Spring collection! I mean, can you imagine the cuteness of your little one wearing this adorable coat as he/she goes on Easter egg hunting. To die for, right?! More details on the giveaway below.
I’ve been a fan of Molly’s work for years now – every since I bought Olivia’s lion jacket-, the quality and details of her work are simply amazing. And I love everything about the new collection. All of her jackets are adorable (not a surprise there!), and I love all of the Spring dresses and little sunsuits that she added for little girls. I want to get this pink ruffled sunsuit for Madeline to wear at the beach this summer
So, how’s dying to get their hands on this pretty little bunny coat?
The winner will have the choice between the coat in Champagne/pink or Camel/blue, size 12m to 6. Enter in the Rafflecopter below – you’ve got 20 chances to win total! This giveaway is open to people WORLDWIDE and will be open until 04/09/14 at 11:49pm. The winner will be contacted via email within 48 hours after the end of the giveaway – so make sure to leave a valid email address! Good luck, friends 😉
You might also like:
One thing I can NEVER get enough off around the house are pillows – they’re everywhere! On our couch, on our bed, in the girls bedroom, in our reading nook…our bathroom is probably the only room that’s pillow-less – I need to fix that 😉 In any case, I just found these lovely pillows by Menina Lisboa and simply love their cheerfulness. I showed you guys one of them last week in my nursery inspiration board, but wanted to share more of my favorites today with you all. They’re simply too pretty, and shall I say, quite perfect for Spring! Check out the Menina Lisboa store here.
PS: More pillow love.
You might also like:
Happy Monday, friends! Sending a little sunshine your way with this color inspiration in shades of yellow and orange to start the week – actually, we could use some sun ourselves since it’s raining today! But hey, who am I to complain We had a lovely weekend. I finished some of these books, and took a sewing class yesterday -hopeful that someday I can sew more than just pillow cases, one can dream ;)- while Troels took the girls crab fishing for the first time…they caught two, so proud! Did you guys do anything fun? Have a lovely week, friends!