Hi friends – I am back from lake Tahoe, all refreshed and fired up from rolling down in the snow Pictures of that coming right up tomorrow, in the meantime I thought I’d share some pictures of the home of Yvonne, the lovely blogger behind Yvestown – if you don’t know it yet, you really ought to! Yvonne comes up with the cutest crochet projects (if only I could crochet!), and her home is well, simply dreamy. So cheery and bright! It is filled with white and pastels and pretty floral wallpapers. Pastel heaven!
And with that, how about these pretty little vanilla puff pastries by Carnets Parisiens? I love her pastel take on this classic French pastry, simply beautiful – my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures. And I bet that they taste just as amazing as they look! Happy Tuesday, friends!
You might also like:
Happy love day, friends! How are you all celebrating, doing anything special with your special someone? Hubby and I won’t get much one on one time today – we’re leaving this afternoon with the girls for a 3-day weekend in Tahoe with friends – snow! Instead this morning we tried to squeeze in a little coffee date together after dropping off the girls at school. Not ideal, but still nice – we’ll take what we can! No doubt, having a family take a toll on married life, but it’s important to remember that love is a game. Not as in it shouldn’t be taken seriously. But in that we need to remember to have fun with it. And to remember that we need to actually play that game (a.k.a put some effort into it) if we want to have a chance to win at it.
Have a great weekend – I’ll see you all on Tuesday when we’re back from the long weekend!
♥ how to piss off a French person – haha. All they forgot is “tell us we don’t shower and don’t shave our armpits”
♥ I just started oil pulling – WHAT?! Yes, 6 months in Berkeley only and I am already turning crunchy on you. Would you try?
♥ Colorful and delicious! grilled sweet potatoes tacos with lime crema.
♥ Just found a pattern to make this gorgeous dress – will be my first sewing project for after baby’s born!
♥ Did you procrastinate for Valentine’s Day? 10 awesome printables!
You might also like:
Like that, it crept up on me. 26 weeks. 26 exciting weeks of growing another little viking princess in my belly. They say that you should enjoy your first pregnancy because it’s the only one that you’ll actually have time to enjoy, and it is oh so true. I feel like I blinked and now I am already 6 months pregnant, getting into the third trimester. Where oh where did all that time go? I wish I could stop time. And at the same time I can’t really wait to meet her. See her little face. Hold her little hands. Get to know her week after week, month after month.
It’s been the sweetest of rides, even if a fast one. Feeling (and seeing!) her kick always brings a smile to my face. She rolls and kicks so much! The pregnancy feels so real right now. The girls have fully embraced the idea of having another little sister soon – they are so excited! Just a couple days ago I saw Olivia day dreaming in the car, then she tells me: “Mama, I love my baby sister”. The sweetest We’re trying to talk to them as much as possible about what it will be like when little sister arrives – and it’s been all about finding the balance between setting them expectations and keeping them really excited about their little sister. I’m so SO curious (also anxious!) to see how this third little one changes the dynamics around our home.
Friends keep asking how I am doing, and to my surprise I still have a lot of energy…most of the time! I feel so thankful that I’ve only had easy pregnancies, and I am trying to enjoy all the energy I have right now as I know it will not last. In a few weeks I’ll be BFF with the couch, no doubt I try to eat healthy (have to, you should have seen my midwifes’ face when they realized I gained 10 pounds over the holidays alone, gaaaaaaaah!!!) but every now and I just have to have a little mug cake….I can blame it on the baby, right?! I am also in full nesting mode and seem to want to fix everything that needs to be fixed in our home, including baby’s nursery corner in our room. I can tell hubby is trying not to freak out and is just letting me do my thing. Good hubby not getting in the way of a nesting woman
Before I run out of time with this pregnancy I wanted to share some of my favorite things to have during pregnancies. Call them “pregnancy essentials” if you will, although we can argue that nothing is really essential Mamas – anything I am missing? what’s on your list? And PS – if you are not pregnant and not planning on being pregnant for a while, these items make super thoughtful gifts for your girlfriends who are expecting!
2. Get the best support – Blanqi support tank. Pregnancy is such a beautiful thing, and at the same time, so strange! Seeing your body morph to grow a human being is probably the wildest thing. Believe me when I say that you’ll be thankful for whatever support you can get for the growing parts of your body – belly, but not only The blanqi tops are just amazing for that!
3. Sooth your belly – Palmer’s tummy butter. I’ve used this when I was pregnant with Olivia. I’ve used this when I was pregnant with Madeline. And with this little ones too. And if I was pregnant 10 more times I’d keep using it over and over again without any doubt. It’s the best to sooth a stretching, dry skin.
4. Get a good night sleep – Bump Nest pillow. So the minute I found out I was pregnant with this one I ordered this pillow. Because as a pregnant lady I just had to claim my right to use that pillow – nevermind that I didn’t really “need” it at 7 weeks pregnant Poor hubby having to find some space in the bed! I can only sleep well with a body pillow, it’s simply genius. I don’t own the Bump Nest pillow but I love the pretty look. Apparently every other pregnant blogger out there has one – looks like I just missed the memo in my hurry to get mine! PS: talking about great gifts for your pregnant girlfriends, this is one of them! When I was pregnant with Olivia one of my dear friends gave one to me….best gift ever!
5. Stay fit – Fitbit activity tracker. Let’s get real here. I don’t exercise too much when I am not pregnant outside of pilates classes here and there, so when I am pregnant the exercising gets really really bad! I got a Fitbit activity tracker a while back though, and I’ve been wearing it every day. It’s made me really away of how much I move (or don’t move!) during the day, and it has made me thoughts of new ways I could walk more during the week. It’s pushing me to stay fit!
6. Take your (yummi) vitamins – ViaFusion chewy prenatal vitamins. Again, let’s get real here – I ATE eating prenatal vitamins. I know they are good for me and I need them, but I have such a hard time swallowing them. So when I discovered these chewable vitamins I was in heaven! They almost feel like eating candy, except for they have all that good stuff in them for you. I also take these chewable calcium vitamins.
You might also like:
Red velvet. I’ll pretty much try anything that says “red velvet”, you don’t have to twist my arm. Problem is, pretty much anything red velvet goes straight my thighs… except for this smoothie, friends! It’s sweet and delicious, it tastes just like red velvet cake, AND it’s super healthy for you. Perfect for my little winter detox! The secret? Beets! I know, I know, it sounds weird, but try it and see for yourself! This smoothie makes the perfect treat – especially with Valentine’s Day just around the corner And don’t you love that gorgeous, deep purply-red color?! Read on the the recipe.
RED VELVET SMOOTHIE
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup cooked beets (steamed or roasted, how to)
1-2 tablespoons agave nectar (you can replace with something like a few dates if you want something even healthier!)
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup ice – I used ice cubes made with coconut milk, delicious and nutricious
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until completely smooth. Enjoy
You might also like:
Olivia at school this week: “I love my mommy and my daddy and my baby and oranges”. Oranges, girl?!!! Haha. I am sure Madeline will appreciate being kicked off the list by some fruit
How do you guys feel about all that Valentine’s day stuff that’s E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E right now on blogs and Pinterest etc? To be honest with you, it’s been stressing me out a bit. I feel like I should be making V-day crafts all day long with my kids, have a very special handmade-gift-that-I-spent-hours-working-on-with-my-hot-glue-gun for hubby already wrapped up, and that our house should be covered in red and pink from top to bottom – although, I am accumulating LOADS of pink in the house right now per pics above, but more because of a certain nesting issue of mine…guess I am not tired of shopping for girls yet! Oh, and let’s not even talk about the non-existent V-day content on my blog so far…
Don’t get me wrong, I am a lover girl! It’s just that I’d rather be spending time with my loved ones creating new memories and covering them with real hugs and kisses, that’s my way of celebrating love. But, ok, if you REALLY want to send me a box of chocolates y’all, I won’t be against it
In other news – TGIF! It’s been a busy but awesome week for me. Hubby’s traveling non-stop, and I just finished a big deadline for a SUPER exciting project – can’t tell you much about it yet, all I can say is that it involves me and a book and that you’re going to love it! Thanks again for all of the feedback you guys keep giving me in the survey – it means more than you’ll ever know. I am writing all the ideas coming out of it down in my pretty pink notebook. I feel so pumped to really make this place an awesomer (that’s right) blog than it is. So hold on to your hats!
Have a great weekend, friends! xxx
A little link love…
♥ I‘d pretend to plan something like this for the girls. When really, it would be for me
♥ In love with this planter. Yep. That’s right. I just put love and planter in the same sentence.
♥ Oh for heaven’s sake!
You might also like:
We never had a fireplace in our home until we moved to thus house. It’s big and very traditional, all wood…not very me at all! I want to give it a little something something special, find a way to make it stand out. I thought I’d share some of the ideas and inspiration I’ve gathered in case you’re in need of some inspiration as well. Especially if you’re snowed in and starting to have cabin fever – maybe giving your fireplace a facelift will make you want to hang around it a bit more?
1. Frame it with wallpaper. Bring some focus to your fireplace by framing it with a beautiful, bold wallpaper – create a frame for the frame, if you will. If you’re not sure about this, try it with removable wallpaper (Spoonflower has a ton of lovely patterns) and you can always get rid of it if you don’t like it!
2. Paint it a bold color. Oh how I wish I could do this with ours! But I am afraid I would give our sweet sweet landlord a heart attack – she likes her traditional wood fireplace so much. Colors like pink, yellow, green transform a traditional fireplace into something bold and playful.
3. White wash it! If your chimney is made of bricks, white wash them – you’ll keep the lovely texture and have a chimney with a fresh new looks without having to do too much work. You can also paint the bricks white – you won’t keep as much of the texture/old look, but you’ll get a really clean look!
4. Fill up your fireplace with something unexpected. If your fireplace isn’t working – or you don’t care for it to work- don’t live it empty! Fill it up with logs (real or fake), or stack up books or magazines in it. You could even draw your own fake fire on a blackboard.
5. Display a collection. Do you have a bunch of pretty little vases that are gathering dust in a cabinet? Or maybe a bunch of small art prints that you don’t know where to hang in your home? Set up a little collection display on the mantel.
6. Big art! Unless you are going to display a collection of smaller prints together, you should have big, bold art above your fireplace – something that will draw the eyes and don’t look like it’s getting lost above the fireplace.
7. Dare to mix old and new. Your husband wants something more traditional and you want something for modern? Try to find compromise. For example, paint the bricks but keep a wooden mantel, it will create a nice contrast and create some lines. I also love the idea in the last picture of this post – hang something very traditional like deer head, but bold color in the background. Such a fresh take on a classic!
8. Put up a mirror. This is a great solution especially if the room is small – a mirror will make it feel a lot bigger! And again if you are going to hand a mirror above your fireplace – go big!
9. Forget the rules. Posts like this one will show to how to set up your mantel “properly” to give it a nice visual weight, but don’t feel like you have to fallow the rules. Keep things off centered to allow the eyes to wander a bit, and you fill like to need fillers if you big piece makes a nice statement on its own.
10. Don’t have one? Make one! Don’t have a fireplace? Why don’t you make one up?! Decorative fireplaces/mantels aren’t as hard to make as you’d think, and they’ll make a nice focal point in your living room. Check out this nice tutorial on how to build a decorative fireplace here.
You might also like:
First of all, let me start by saying how overwhelmed I’ve been by you guys’ answers to yesterday’s post! I can’t believe how many of you have taken the survey already, it’s been amazing to get your guys’ feedback and ideas about This Little Street for this big milestone. I promise to put all the feedback to good use If you want to take the survey, click here – you still have a few days!
Today another super colorful house for you all. Sorry, I just can’t help it – color just makes me so freaking HAPPY I’d move in a heartbeat, really. It’s a typical scandinavian home in the way that it uses white as a base color on the walls and floors – to make the most out of the little light that you get in Norway in the winter days. The burst of colors, patterns and textures bring all that white to life. I love that this home is filled with cosy corners, and tiny DIYs projects that make the house all that more unique.
I’ll let you soak in all of the images- what do you think? Too much color for you?
Oh, and to go with this lovely home, how about a little cupcake in a jar – have you ever had one? Best party favors EVER Yum yum! I want to try these strawberry and lemon cupcakes in a jar by Glorious Treat – two of my favorite flavors combined, it can only be delicious! Happy Wednesday, friends!
You might also like:
Two years ago out I started This little Street out of the dreams in my head – I can hardly believe it! And my, how the blog has grown in these two years – way beyond my wildest dreams! What does that mean exactly? It means that over 150,000 OF YOU have stopped by to dive into my colorful world! But more than that, it has been 2 years of beautiful discoveries and making connections with amazing people. If two years ago you’d told me I would team up with West Elm or have my home featured in Molly Makes, I would have probably laughed out loud.
And I want the blog to keep growing – oh the dreams I have, oh the places it’s going to go! But for that, I also need a little something from you, my dear readers – I want to hear what you think, if you have any ideas or feedback for me! Because nothing is more important to me than building a places that inspires you and makes you dream too.
So I am having a little reader survey – not long I promise! I’d be forever grateful if you could take it…it would really mean the world to me! And, to show how much I love you for taking it, I am having a fun little giveaway. I’ll randomly pick TWO OF YOU who completed the survey and send you a box filled with pretty little goodies, handpicked by yours truly – only products I love, from me to you Because really, who doesn’t like to get surprises in the mail?!
CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY Survey is over – thanks so much for all of you who participated, made my heart melt
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY: Giveaway over
1) Fill out the survey here – don’t forget to click on the “Submit” button (bottom left after last question) otherwise it won’t register your answers!
2) Then leave me a comment in this post to let me know you took the survey, with a valid email address I can reach out at in case you win
This giveaway is open to people WORLDWIDE, and is open for 7 days until 02/10/2014. Thanks so much for participating!
You might also like:
Oh winter! It’s always so exciting when it starts – the first snow, the thought of having hot cocoa by the fireplace…and then mid-way through it, it always seems like it will never end! To be honest, we don’t even really get winter here in California, and after just a month back home in Europe I had enough of the damp weather. My tolerance for cold and rain has gone WAY down, obviously Anybody has enough of being cold and wet already? Where oh where did that fun winter spirit go? Well, today I am giving you a few more project to try and have fun with that whole winter thing Some little DIYs to make your home all cosy and keep you warm. Have a lovely weekend, friends!
1. Add a little scandinavian feel to your home by making the prettiest faux-fur stool
2. Your fireplace isn’t working? You can still give it a cosy look with this faux stacked log fireplace facade.
3. Stuck inside with little ones? Try making these fun sock hobby horses!
4. The cutest little winter boots, with suede soles.
5. Pretty cosy for your mugs – I need to knit myself one of these!
You might also like:
Hubby has been traveling for work a lot since we got back from Europe, which means it’s pretty much been me and the girls at home…oh, and the bump. Quite tired to say the least, but the show must go on, right?
I don’t wear a lot of make-up – never had, really, and even less so now that I have little ones at home. If you’re like me, you don’t really have the time or energy to spend an hour in the bathroom trying to hide your tiredness with foundation and concealers and this and that. Still, there are some quick, easy tricks that can save your day and make you look (and feel) like a million bucks. Well, at least half a million
1. Wear bold lipstick, or…: A red lip will make your teeth look whiter and take the focus off the main facial feature that’s least forgiving when it comes to your tiredness: your eyes. And if wearing red lipstick isn’t your thing (you should really consider it!), try wearing bright colors instead – it will lift your spirits right up. My go-to clothing item on tired days? My bright pink shoes I feel energized just looking down at my feet. Also, funny thing is people look at my feet more than my tired face when I wear them, so it’s a win win
2. Blush it up: A pop of color on your cheekbones brightens your entire face and distracts from shadows underneath your eyes. Look for a rosy blush with a hint of gold, that will help to counteract any blue tones that you have under your eyes because of dark circles. Make sure to avoid shades that are too orangebecause these will actually accentuate the tiredness. Smile when you apply it. Follow the shape of your cheekbone and go up towards the temples.
3. The tea bags trick: If you want to get rid of dark circles under your eyes, you can of course spend a lot of money on creams and gels – but I like the tea bag trick much better. So affordable, and natural too! Take a couple of tea bags and steep them in hot water for 3-5 minutes. Then, put them on a plate and stick them in the fridge for 20 minutes or so – until they are cold. While the bags are cooling down, enjoy your tea Take the tea bags out and gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Lay down and put the tea bags over your eyes for 15-30 minutes. Remove and carefully rinse off any tea stains on your face. For best results, do this once a week.
4. Milk miracle: Want to bring some life back to that skin of yours? Here is another old trick – dip a washcloth in a mix of milk and ice cubes, wring out the cloth, and place it on your face for five minutes, then rinse. It feels so nice and your skin will thank you for it. Apply moisturizer afterwards as you’d normally do.
5. Flaunt your locks: Let’s face it, we all throw your hair back in a pony when we’re tired because it’s the “easy” thing to do – especially given the likely that our hair might not be as clean as we’d wish But resist the urge! Tightly pulled back hair just puts more emphasis on your tired eyes and skin. Instead, brush it and add a little product to bring it back to life – if your hair is greasy, try a dry shampoo, and if you hair is frizzy like mine or a bit damaged, go for a smoothing balm.
Now tell me, what about you, do you have any trick to not look like a zombie when you are tired? And don’t tell me “Get some sleep”, haha Although really, I should also try that some day. Happy Thursday, friends!
All photos by This Little Street. Wearing the Boots Botanics lipstick in 060 Red – purchased at Target.