Oh winter! It’s always so exciting when it starts – the first snow, the thought of having hot cocoa by the fireplace…and then mid-way through it, it always seems like it will never end! To be honest, we don’t even really get winter here in California, and after just a month back home in Europe I had enough of the damp weather. My tolerance for cold and rain has gone WAY down, obviously Anybody has enough of being cold and wet already? Where oh where did that fun winter spirit go? Well, today I am giving you a few more project to try and have fun with that whole winter thing Some little DIYs to make your home all cosy and keep you warm. Have a lovely weekend, friends!
1. Add a little scandinavian feel to your home by making the prettiest faux-fur stool
2. Your fireplace isn’t working? You can still give it a cosy look with this faux stacked log fireplace facade.
3. Stuck inside with little ones? Try making these fun sock hobby horses!
4. The cutest little winter boots, with suede soles.
5. Pretty cosy for your mugs – I need to knit myself one of these!
You might also like:
Hubby has been traveling for work a lot since we got back from Europe, which means it’s pretty much been me and the girls at home…oh, and the bump. Quite tired to say the least, but the show must go on, right?
I don’t wear a lot of make-up – never had, really, and even less so now that I have little ones at home. If you’re like me, you don’t really have the time or energy to spend an hour in the bathroom trying to hide your tiredness with foundation and concealers and this and that. Still, there are some quick, easy tricks that can save your day and make you look (and feel) like a million bucks. Well, at least half a million
1. Wear bold lipstick, or…: A red lip will make your teeth look whiter and take the focus off the main facial feature that’s least forgiving when it comes to your tiredness: your eyes. And if wearing red lipstick isn’t your thing (you should really consider it!), try wearing bright colors instead – it will lift your spirits right up. My go-to clothing item on tired days? My bright pink shoes I feel energized just looking down at my feet. Also, funny thing is people look at my feet more than my tired face when I wear them, so it’s a win win
2. Blush it up: A pop of color on your cheekbones brightens your entire face and distracts from shadows underneath your eyes. Look for a rosy blush with a hint of gold, that will help to counteract any blue tones that you have under your eyes because of dark circles. Make sure to avoid shades that are too orangebecause these will actually accentuate the tiredness. Smile when you apply it. Follow the shape of your cheekbone and go up towards the temples.
3. The tea bags trick: If you want to get rid of dark circles under your eyes, you can of course spend a lot of money on creams and gels – but I like the tea bag trick much better. So affordable, and natural too! Take a couple of tea bags and steep them in hot water for 3-5 minutes. Then, put them on a plate and stick them in the fridge for 20 minutes or so – until they are cold. While the bags are cooling down, enjoy your tea Take the tea bags out and gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Lay down and put the tea bags over your eyes for 15-30 minutes. Remove and carefully rinse off any tea stains on your face. For best results, do this once a week.
4. Milk miracle: Want to bring some life back to that skin of yours? Here is another old trick – dip a washcloth in a mix of milk and ice cubes, wring out the cloth, and place it on your face for five minutes, then rinse. It feels so nice and your skin will thank you for it. Apply moisturizer afterwards as you’d normally do.
5. Flaunt your locks: Let’s face it, we all throw your hair back in a pony when we’re tired because it’s the “easy” thing to do – especially given the likely that our hair might not be as clean as we’d wish But resist the urge! Tightly pulled back hair just puts more emphasis on your tired eyes and skin. Instead, brush it and add a little product to bring it back to life – if your hair is greasy, try a dry shampoo, and if you hair is frizzy like mine or a bit damaged, go for a smoothing balm.
Now tell me, what about you, do you have any trick to not look like a zombie when you are tired? And don’t tell me “Get some sleep”, haha Although really, I should also try that some day. Happy Thursday, friends!
All photos by This Little Street. Wearing the Boots Botanics lipstick in 060 Red – purchased at Target.
You might also like:
Guess what girl (and her bump) will be heading out for some Swedish meatballs this Saturday?
Ikea is about to release a new collection, limited edition called BRÅKIG, designed in partnership with ArtRebels and want to buy it all. Fun colors, bold patterns – and did you see they are releasing a new version of the stool I used to make my cross-stitch stool last year? I may have to work on a new version of that stool, just because
I am also so excited that they will be releasing new storage boxes to add to my ever-growing collection. Loving the soft pastels and the contrasting vibrant colors – and oh, all the geometric patterns. Isn’t it such a nice way to get all warmed up for Spring?
You might also like:
It’s not because we’re in the middle of winter and that your driveway is 10 billion feet under snow that we should forget about all things green, don’t you think? I love plants indoors, they are an amazing (and relatively cheap) way to decorate and add so much life to a home. Plus, they make it easier for your to breath and purify the air for you as well – seriously, what’s not to like? Here are 10 little tips that will help you add green to your home:
1. Display a collection of them: nothing like getting a lot of different plants together to create a big effect! For best results, you’ll want to select plants of different size and with different leaves. You can simply put them in a corner of your home or cleverly display your little collection on a ladder/shelves (image 2). The more the merrier, right?
2. Mix plants with your daily life: add an unexpected touch of green by mixing up plants with little things of your daily life. A couple of cactus on your bathroom shelves next to your brushes and bottles (image 11), or herb plants on kitchen shelves next to your plates and cups.
3. Find unusual containers: Of course you can always buy pots, but for optimal effect consider DIY your pot (image 1) or even using objets that weren’t meant to hold a plant, like the big canvas bags in image 6 or the tin box in image 9. Found a container you love but don’t dare using it before there is no whole at the bottom for the water to escape? Watch this tutorial and you’ll learn to turn anything into a pot.
4. Hang them up high: this is a great way to add plants to your home, especially if you have young kids that will just dig out everything like mini-tornadoes. Little hands won’t be able to grab these Use cute pot hangers (image 3, 4 and 8), or add display boxes on the walls (image 10)
5. Go big! Some trees love being indoors, like fiddle-leaf fig trees (image 7) or citrus trees, and you’ll love having them too! They go higher they can help you make a big statement and give a room more volume. Here is a little list I found of the best trees for indoor use. For easy cleaning and to protect them from too much sun, put them on an oversize plant mobile with casters and you’ll be able to roll that tree around wherever you want.
6. Think about colors: When choosing a pot/container, you can choose you stay in the neutrals and natural tones of course, or break off colors and go bold. It is important to think about the mood your want to create and select a color palette accordingly. If you want to go bright, some colors that always go well with plants include coral (images 1, 2, 4) , pink, mint and yellow.
7. No room is off limits: don’t limit yourself to the living room! The kitchen (remember my rolling herb garden?), the bathroom or your bedroom are also great places to add plants. Ok, so your guests might not enjoy them as much, but I swear that you will. They will be like a breath of fresh air! And remember what I said: plants help purify the air, so I bet you’ll sleep better if you had a couple ferns by your bed
8. The right plant for the right room: Temperature, sunlight, humidity are all of factors that will impact how your plant thrives. Go to local nursery and talk to a specialist, let them know what you want to do and they will be able to help you find the perfect plant. Also, think about scale, and how much space the plant(s) you want to add will take up.
9. How much care? Mmmmm so let’s say that you have a bit of a black thumb? Don’t worry, I am right there with you Succulents and cactus (images 4, 11) are great if you only want to water every now and then. And worst comes worst, you could even fake – IKEA for example has quite a lot of fake plants that would fool you. But hey, do you really want all that plastic in your home?
10. Use branches: For ever-changing green in a home, think about displaying branches in a vase. Big branches for a big statement or smaller ones to add a sublte note of green to any room (image 5). Use fallen evergreen branches or a straggly branch from your trees – snip it and put it to work inside a vase!
You might also like:
Bloom Theory just released their new 2014 collection, and their new scarf traps are so gorgeous that I had to share them here with you. I love that these are so casual but pretty looking compared to regular straps. So feminine too! I featured this awesome brand already two years ago when I just started blogging, and with every collection they don’t disappoint! Now, I still wish I was using a strap. Uhm. If you ask hubby he’ll probably tell you I should….I may or may not have dropped my camera once or twice. ANYWHO! If you are a photo addict like me and are looking for a fun, pretty way to accessorize your camera to what your wearing – check out their new collection! Happy Thursday, friends.
You might also like:
I fear that this might be the last year I can call her little. My little girl. She’s been growing and changing some much lately, my little Olivia. It feels like life is speeding up on us. A little baby born on a cold Danish night yesterday, on that didn’t even fit in the newborn clothes that we had bought her. And today, this fun, loving, ever-happy little girl that spends her time smiling, laughing, making friends, dreaming and dancing. Man, I tell you, she’s got some moves I don’t even have!!
Last Sunday We celebrated her and every bot of wonderfulness that she is with a small but fun, color-filled party on our backyard with a few friends. A small party, people, not very American – that means more cake for each of us, and I am all about that When I asked Olivia what cake she wanted for her birthday, “Strawberry!!!!”. Yes, the same cake as last year. I gladly obliged – I mean, have you ever tried that cake?!
As usual I made a point of decorating for my girl: some giant balloons and DIY fringe garlands a la geronimo, spray painted little horses in gold to top her cake and of course, a cute little bithrday crown – mandatory in our house for all birthdays. No joke.
The day after her birthday, I asked Olivia to make some drawings for the people who gave her presents so we could send them along with a thank you card. SShe came back to me after 1/2 hour with a few extra drawings, so she could “send them up in the sky”. Again, I gladly obliged
And of course, everybody who came to the party (and our families via email) filled out our traditional “When she grows up” poster – see the one when she turned 2 and when she turned 3. It is so much much to see everybody answers change with the years, as we get to know our little girl more and more. But no matter what you do when you grow up, my little Olive, mama and daddy will always love you to the moon and back. And the some.
You might also like:
I don’t know about you, but as far as I am concerned, my body is waaaaaay ready for a break after the holidays. I think my blood sugar is still on an all time high from all that candy cane and hot chocolates and overall cookie abuse. My midwife almost had a heart attack yesterday when I stepped on the scale….yeaaaah that was quite a big jump haha. So time for some smarter eating! Since I am pregnant, I can’t go on a proper detox, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t eat better to give my body a fresh start. If like me you’re looking for some yummi recipes that will help your body reset and start the year in a healthy way, I’ve got these 6 amazing recipes for you:
1. Winter salad with persimmons and apples. You might not know persimmons – they are so good and really common here in California, but might be a bit harder to find where you live. You can always replace it with another winter fruit: pear, grapefruit, clementines, or beets if you like your salads not too sweet.
2. Beetroot juice. I’ve never tried it but people swear by it! Especially when it is mixed up with strawberries (like in this recipes) or raspberries. Yum!
3. Kale and ginger detox smoothie. Don’t let the kale part fool you – it’s tasty and packed with vitamins! The perfect detox smoothie.
4. Grapefruit, fennel and quinoa salad. More winter favorites packed into one tasty salad!
5. Black cod with a raw salad of beets, carrots and radishes. Just so you also get a little protein in your diet The colors of this dish alone make me want to cook it!
6. Roasted carrot soup. Vegetable soups are an awesome way to detox – look for recipes with no cream through
And tons of water, that’s also on my list! Also, I am always looking for more ideas – so tell me, do you have any favorite winter detox recipes? I’d love to know! Happy Friday, friends
You might also like:
Hi all, thanks for all your lovely lovely notes after the announcement about our baby yesterday I can only imagine what our house is going to be like during teen years…crazy!!!Today I wanted to share some images of this pretty Danish home.
Of course I love all of the neutrals and natural tones, but what I love the most about this house is the colorful, bold art in every room. And even better? The owner of this house painted all of these paintings herself. I am just blown away. This makes me want to pick up my paint and brushes and do the same for our own house. Hubby always tells me I should, but I think part of me just think I am going to “mess up” – but maybe I could? In any case, enjoy these pretty images. Isn’t the nursery the prettiest too? I included it in my inspiration moodboard for the baby’s nursery, and it’s probably one of my favorite out of all of them.
And how pretty are these mini meringues by Griottes for Decor8. I love that she showed every steps of making them. When she fixes the colors to the eg white, the uncooked meringue looks like pots of paints, don’t you think? Little drops of colors, they makes me smile! I should really try these, don’t you think they would make a great little gift?! Happy Wednesday, friends!
You might also like:
You guys have been emailing me and messaging me on Facebook – what stalkers you all are, this baby is sure getting a lot of attention Thanks so much for all of your messages, it made my day! I wanted to post yesterday but was too jet-lagged and crashed at 7:30pm right after I put the girls to bed. So anyway, now you know!
Yesterday was an amazing day – my little Olivia turned 4 (so big already!) and we went for our anatomy ultrasound with her as a birthday treat so she could see the baby…and we found out we are having another GIRL!!! A lot of you had voted for a boy last Friday but it’s going to be full on Pink Power in da house. And she is healthy, so we couldn’t be happier. To tell you the truth, hubby and I had secretly wished third baby would be a boy – to add a little blue in the mix, you know But after hearing the news we were like “Awesome! A girl….that we know how to handle at least ;)” It’s going to be so much have having all these sweet little girls at home. Last night I overheard Olivia say to Madeline ” We’re having a little sister, aren’t you happy?!” Happy happy Tuesday, friends!
You might also like:
The time has come, friends…it’s time to start planning baby’s nursery Amen to that! I’m so excited to get this done, this is actually the first time I get to do this. With Olivia we moved from NYC to Denmark a month before she was born, and for Madeline we moved from Denmark to NYC when she was 3 months old, so I didn’t really have any energy left to think about room decorating for either of them. But this time around – BANG, time to rock ‘n roll! Well when I say nursery, it’s more of a corner in the room since our house only has two rather small bedrooms – but that will do. No huge rocker for us, I am not even sure we’ll have space for a changing table by the crib, but that will force me to think outside the box a bit.
Hubby and I want the baby’s nursery to feel RELAXING, COSY and HAPPY. Also, because baby is going to stay with us in the room for a good while, we want the nursery corner to complement our bedroom well, and not to be overly baby-ish. While I am sure Junior will appreciate all the art on the wall from his or her very young age, we need daddy and mommy to feel like they belong too And to add to the challenge: we’re on a budget. Go figure, we’re trying to save up a down payment for a house, and that ain’t a small chunk of money in the Bay Area!
So here is some of the inspiration I am going for. Think loads of white (duh), soft textures (those fur rugs!) and happy patterns. Color-wise, I’ll stay pretty neutral because it will fit so much better with our bedroom, and also it will be easier to mix and match things I’ve been using for the girls. So think yellow, aqua, cold mixed in with touches of warmer colors – red/pink depending on the sex of the baby.
Talking about the sex of the babe, we find out ON MONDAY and I am trying to not freak out to much I am SO beyond excited. I could never be one of these moms that choses to wait until the day of the birth. I want to know! So tell me, friends – what do YOU think our baby will be? My pregnancy has been feeling the exact same as with the girls, so I am leaning towards a girl, but hubby is convinced it is a boy. I’ve check the Chinese calendar and it said boy…but then again, it said boy for Olivia and Madeline also Take a vote, and I’ll do a reveal next week! Happy weekend y’all!