A new life

A week ago, we brought home a new life. A new piece of us. The end of life as we new it. A magical new chapter opened last week.

The girls kept asking “Mama. It’s been a LOOOONG time. When is Freia coming?!” I’d tell them that only she knew, only she could decide what her birth day would be, just like they chose them. They’d leave me huffing and puffing still – they just. could. not wait. They wanted their little sister already. Last Thursday I started having stronger contractions than usual, and something told me that she was coming. And I thought she would come fast – because after all, her sisters did. I called my midwives, and we agree that we should go to the birth center sooner rather than later so we headed there late afternoon…to come back early evening. For some reason my contractions died down – it was so disappointing! That good old wisdom I gave the girls earlier just bit me in the butt 😉

But an hour later they picked up again they picked up stronger than before. And I was happy again. I was going to meet my baby girl.

The delivery was longer and somehow more painful than I remembered with the girls – but that’s what your brain does, right? It erases all memories of pain so you’ll have children again. Tricky tricky brain. Anyway. It was tough, I won’t lie, but I am so happy that I went all natural with this one again. Some people like to push their body to run a marathon. I can find no reason more beautiful to push your body to its limits than to bring another human body to this world.

Freia was born at 3:28am on Friday, May 9th, and I think my first words to her where:”You are here! You’re finally here!“. And then I looked at her little feet. These little feet that had been kicking me for month, these little feet that I’d get to move around the side of my belly when she was still in there.

In the wee hours of Friday morning we came back home (the birth center doesn’t keep you there, you get to go home), and the girls could meet their new sister before going to school.

Oh they were so happy. And so proud. And I just had a hard time keeping it together. So many little girls. So much love. And those damn hormones 😉

I can’t wait to see how this little girl changes the dynamics between all of them – but so far they have been so good to her. Olivia sings to her, and not songs she knows – she makes up song for her baby sister. Kinda like Buddy in the movie Elf. “And you’re going to sleeeep! And there will be hoooooooorses in your dreeeeaaams! And unicorns too!!!” It is so funny and so sweet. And Madeline is the best little helper like she always is. She wants to hold her sister, and help find clothes for her, and help change her diaper. Somehow she got so much bigger – and heavier too! – to me. I guess she is a big girl now. Even though I still see her as my little one :)

Hubby was off work all week and helping out with the girls, so I was able to rest a whole lot. And Freia has been an amazing baby – she has already slept 5-hour stretches at home a couple of times! Granted, I know it won’t last and tough ones are coming, but still. Last night as I was feeding Freia on the terrace after we put the girls to bed, everything was so peaceful, so serene and I thought to myself: “This has been the perfect first week with our baby girl.” So hopefully, here’s to more perfect weeks:)

But regardless of the tougher times that I am sure are coming, I feel ready for the challenge of balancing life with 3 kids, and can’t wait to us to figure out our new routine. To figure out our new “life as we know it”. So bring it on!

Enjoying the moment + Guest post
a Brittany escape + new year's resolutions
The summer I fell in love with Denmark
Happy Thanksgiving!
Comments
31 Responses to “A new life”
  1. Amie says:

Congrats! A very beautiful addition to your family.

2. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl…she is stunning! These pictures are so heartwarming.

aw thanks Evie! I remembered how much I loved the pictures of Olivia meeting Madeline for the first time, and we just have to have some of the girls meeting their new sister :)

3. Maks says:

Congratulations on your beautiful new family addition! Freia is gorgeous! Babies are the greatest gift. Wishing you all the best and keep enjoying these precious moments as a family – maks :-)

4. Vika Moka says:

Ohlalala, je te disais dans mon mail que je ne savais pas trop quoi dire (courage ? profite ?) à une nouvelle maman mais tu as mis les mots parfaits sur ces incroyables moments (et donc là, je te dirais “profiiiiite !!!!”). Ta petite Freia est magnifique et les photos aussi!

Lol, bah tu vois 😀 la prochaine fois tu auras un truc tout fait a ressortir aux nouvelles mamans 😉 xx

5. Julie says:

Toutes mes félicitations! Mon second garçon est né le 9 mai (tout comme mon amoureux!) il y a deux ans et il est un vrai petit amour. Profites bien de tous ces premiers moments, ils sont si précieux.

6. Sarah says:

Aww! Tearing up! ALMOST makes me want a third! Beautiful photos, momma! And sweet girlies. Xox

7. bron says:

well if this isn’t the sweetest thing ever! congratulations.

8. Heart melting photos – a beautiful family with a gorgeous new addition x

9. Alex says:

What you write and what photos say makes you a perfect Mom! Love is all around and one can feel it. You can appreciate what’s the most important in life so gracefully! All the best.

Well I don’t know if there is such a thing called a perfect mom – but I sure love my little family to pieces :) Thanks for the sweet sweet words, Alex!

10. Ju says:

Ok, now I’m crying, AGAIN :)
    I know exactly the ‘my contractions died down’ feeling… and the ‘only to come back an hour later’ feeling (and YES I just wanted to cry) ! It seems these little third ones like to play some kind of hide and seek !
    I also made the parallel with a marathon after my first one was born and totally agree with the all-natural stuff.
    You are SO lucky you could go back home right away. My worst memory for the 3 births: the stay at the maternity ward !
    It’s lovely to read about your experience, because I feel so totally the same :) Our first weeks were peaceful as well. Now it’s sometimes a bit harder, but all in all, it’s much easier than we thought, and so…. great and perfect for us.
    One last thing: our little baby girl really soon started to sleep 5 hours in a row. Now she’s turning 2 month old and usually sleeps…9 hours at night. I didn’t even know it was possible ! Like you, I know it can all change with no visible reason so we’re enjoying it A LOT right now ! I wish you exactly the same :)
    All the best to you and your lovely family ! (and don’t forget to rest 😉

Haha. The hormones again? Don’t cry :) You shouldn’t tell me about the 9 hours, you have me hopeful!!!! 😉 haha, she is a great sleeper thougha lready, so hoping it stays that way….time will tell! Hugs to you and your little family, hope the little lady is nice to you :)

By the way, you should send me a picture of her :)

11. Christina says:

Oh this is a beautiful post. I love seeing the baby in your daughter’s arms! So precious. I’m just weeks away from our first baby and I’m inspired!

Thank you Christina! The girls are so happy that their little sister is finally here!! Good luck to you with baby :)

12. Laicie says:

Oh my goodness, those little feet… this is so beautiful, Audrey! So glad you’ve had such a lovely first week as a mama of 3!

13. Nina says:

Même si je en suis pas DU TOUT prête à avoir un enfant, je trouve ton récit très beau, et je suis quand même touchée par ce que ça représente, l’arrivée d’un nouvel être vivant sur terre! C’est le deuxième témoignage de naissance que je lis sur un blog (le premier était sur A Merry Mishap) et même si le processus de l’accouchement me terrifie (et me dégoute un peu…), je trouve que c’est extraordinaire de donner la vie. Quand on y réfléchit bien, c’est absolument fascinant comme processus! (c’est mon esprit de scientifique qui parle là!)
    Bref, je pense que je n’ai pas besoin de te dire de profiter de tes filles! Je souhaite énormément de bonheur à Freia et à toute ta famille!
    Et cette première photo, elle est absolument magnifique 😉

T’as raison, c’est vraiment un processus fascinant – de la conception du bebe, la facon dont il grandit dans ton ventre, la naissance. Encore plus quand tu vois ton corps changer, que tu vis tout ca!Je pense que le cote degoutant sera moins fort quand tu le vivras pour ton enfant en fait – parce qu’au bout tu compte tu as ce petit amour a caliner et tu oublies vite tout le reste. Quand c’est les autres qui vivent l’accouchement et qui raconte ca ca fait juste pas le meme effet 😉

14. Lauri says:

what a lovely, lovely picture of Freia encircled in the flowers. Think it’s too late to try that with William? I’d have to have some monstrously big blooms! : )

haha I definitely think it is worth a try, Lauri 😉 Or maybe surround him by Star wars characters or dinosaurs? He might put up less of a fight 😉

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] beautiful blog, This Little Street, then you already know that she’s recently welcomed the most beautiful little addition into her family, and I couldn’t be happier for them […]

2. […] step guide to make a DIY ombre-dyed letter mobile for your baby. Sweet! Via This Little Street, who just had a baby, so the tutorial is guest […]