DIY clear nursery shelves…Read Baby Read!

Don’t get too excited, I am not quite ready to reveal baby’s nursery yet (soon though!), but today I did want to share a little something that I made for the nursery – these “read baby read” clear bookshelves in the reading corner. We’ve been trying to think about many ways we can include the girls and have them around the baby once she’s here, and reading books together is definitely high on our list. Our list: some shelves, a rocking chair and a little stool for the girls to grab book whenever they want.

As I mentioned before, the nursery is in our bedroom and it’s pretty tight- so I needed something that didn’t take took much space physically (or  even visually). I found these clear acrylic book shelves on Pinterest and loved them right away, but turns out they were expensive and only available in Australia. Instead I found mine here for $8.75 each – what a steal! Add a little contact paper to personalize the whole thing and done -in a matter of minute you’ve got yourself rad shelves for less than $30!

I  had fun adding the”Read Baby Read” message, but you could do anything really, like write a sweet message with your baby’s name -we might do that later ;)-, or even do a little pattern with contact paper – how cute would dots or tiny hearts look? I used black contact paper as it offered the best contrast with the books, but you could do it in any color really. The best thing is that you can change it up any time you feel like it – the contact paper will come right off without leaving any mark on your shelves! Read on to learn how to set these up.

PS: by the way, the pretty crochet bunting you see here was sent to me by my sweet sweet reader/blogger Victoria from A Moka a Day and I love it so much. Isn’t it adorable?!

What you need

What you do

1. Print out the read baby read print
2. On your transfer paper, trace the outline of the letters. PS: You only need to trace READ once, you should be able to use the transfer paper twice.
3. Turn the transfer paper over (outline you just traced facing down so the word is spelled out right to left) and color over with your pencil to transfer the outlines onto the back of the contact paper. If the outlines is too faint when done, go over it with your pencil so you can see where to cut
4. With scissors or sharp knife, cut out the letters carefully.
5. Peel and stick on the shelves. Et voila, you’re done! Easy, right?!

"When he/she grows up..." posters
Weekend DIYs - 4th of July edition
Peppermint Sugar scrub on Say Yes to Hoboken
DIY laundry detergent with West Elm
Comments
18 Responses to “DIY clear nursery shelves…Read Baby Read!”
  1. Ju says:

Absolutely lovely, and absolutely perfect given the small space available. You are clever :)
    I can’t wait to ‘visit’ the whole nursery corner !

Can’t wait to show you the rest, Ju! It’s small small small, but I think it will work perfect for us :)

2. Sarah says:

Great idea! Your little white stepping stool looks great too!…especially with your cute birthday girl on it:)

3. Annie says:

Such a great idea! I think I will be doing this in my little girls room. Thanks!

4. Yvonne says:

Love this! What length did you pick for your clear shelves?
    Your site is wonderful, I’m having fun preparing a nursery right now so your inspirations are fantastic! Thank you!

Hi Yvonne – you totally made my day with your comment :) So glad you like the blog! I bought the 24-inch shelves and they were perfect for the space we had!

5. Brianna says:

I LOVE this!! I am doing this for my 4 yr olds bedroom. She is a little bookworm :)

How much was your shipping?? They are quoting me $80 USD!!

Oh $80 that is crazy? No mine was only a few dollars. Are you in the US? If not, I am sure you can find a company more local that sells similar acrylic displays!

6. Renee says:

Hi Yvonne – the room is just delightful! Just wondering what Australian supplier you had for the clear book shelf as that link only takes you to a US shop. I’m an Aussie trying to find them here but pin interest keeps linking me to US sites – Thanks!

7. Julie says:

Hello! I love this room! Can you tell me how the shelves are holding up two years later? I notice there are “heavier duty” versions of the shelves on the display site. Of course, I would prefer the cheaper price if possible! I just wanted to get your thoughts!

Thank you!!

8. Viv says:

THANK YOU for this super helpful post! Ordering these acrylic shelves, NOW! So grateful!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] will find. I’m also a huge fan of acrylic, so I flipped over this clear book shelf idea from This Little Street. The best part is the shelves are a thrifty purchase at $8.75 each…can you say winning! She […]

2. […] Where else would you keep baby’s favorite bedtime storybooks? Get the tutorial at This Little Street. […]