Decorate with amazing removable wallpapers

Have you guys ever tried using removable wallpaper? I put removable wallpaper on a couple of walls in our home, and I’m addicted now, so I thought I’d share a bit about my experience and a few tips – but before I do that, don’t forget to enter the giveaway, today’s the last day!

When we moved in, our landlord told us that we could paint the walls if we wanted to, but that we’d have to paint them back when we leave. It didn’t take me long to decide agains painting – one paint job I can handle, but two? Especially since our walls have loads of wood trims and little corners. So instead I decided to give removable wallpaper a try. I created one accent wall in our living room with this gorgeous yellow wallpaper by Holly Zollinger, and I also wanted to make a bold statement in our entrance and used this gorgeous “farmer’s market” wallpaper by Chrissie Van Hoever.

Obviously, I went bold and colorful with my choices of wallpaper – but you could also go more subtle. There are so many options out there now . You can find wallpaper here, here and also here  among other places, depending on what kind you want. But my very favorite place to shop for removable wallpaper is by far Spoonflower – so many options, and they have an easy calculator that helps you customize how many rolls you need for your needs, score! Of course, all these options can be a little intimidating at first, but you can easily search by color and trends, so you should be able to narrow things down. Here are some of my favorite Spoonflower wallpapers right now:

L to R, top to bottom: 1.|2.|3.|4.|5.|6.

Take a look around and I dare you not to find something you like. Which wallpaper would you go for?

Now, this was my very first time putting up wallpaper in my home, and let’s just say that I went “free style” a bit more than I should have. Things turned out fine in the end, and I love the result, but thought I’d my 5 tips for decorating with removable wallpapers:

1. Dare! The best part of removable wallpaper is that, well, it’s removable.  Perfect for people with commitment issues like me! You don’t like it? You can easily take it down! So allow yourself to go bold, and try something fun and a bit unexpected!

2. Find the right pattern:To find the best pattern for what you want to do, you’ll need to consider style (do you like floral prints, or do you prefer geometric?), colors and scale. Now I could write an entire post on that, but here is the most important: before you select your wallpaper, you need to have a clear idea where the wallpaper is going to go in your home. Large patterns generally don’t look good in a small room because they tend to overpower the space and make it seem smaller. Color-wise, dark colors with make your room seem smaller, but wallpaper with a light background will have the opposite effect.

3. Don’t have even walls? That’s ok! The walls in our rental home have loads of pumps, the plastering is really irregular – but I used this strippable lining under the wallpaper and then applied the wallpaper – worked like a charm! You can’t see any of the bumps at all now :)

4. Do a little research: If you’re trying yourself at wallpaper for the first time, do a little reading first 😉 Removable wallpaper might be easy to take down, but it takes as much work to put up as regular wallpaper. Not that hard, but you will want to make sure that you learn the tricks of the trade before diving into it. You can start your reading here.

5. Think outside the “wall”: if you don’t dare to do an entire room or big wall, you could also cover a smaller  accent wall, the steps up a staircase or a door.

So, did I convince any of you to give it a try? What do you think, would you go for it? Really, there are tons of ways you can use removable wallpaper to give your home some personality, and I’ll try to show you guys some more ideas in the weeks to come! Happy Wednesday, friends :)

Credits: Photography by This Little Street. Removable wallpapers via Spoonflower. Green couch from Ikea. Lamp from CB2. Frames by Framed and Matted. Lion jacket by Little Goodall. Slippers by Collegien. Dachshund pillow by Kate Durkin.

{live here, eat that} A little beauty from Brittany
{live here, eat that} funfetti fest
{live here, eat that} Icelandic beauty
24 Merry Days - Day 2! Win a Famille Summerbelle city print on Fellow Fellow
27 Responses to “Decorate with amazing removable wallpapers”
  1. Ju says:

Talk about people with commitment issues….!
    You’re giving me very good ideas here, thank you :)

haha yeah, I’ll probably be using removable wallpaper for the rest of my life – I just like to change things up too often 😉

2. Nina says:

La “farmer’s market” est absolument sublime!!! Non mais c’est juste génial comme principe, du papier paint “éphémère” (comment on traduit removable? Retirable? Ca existe au moins?), j’adore l’idée! Plus qu’à convainsre mon homme de tenter le truc 😉 il a un appart tout blanc et tout triste et j’adoooooore les papiers peints à gros motifs, je suis sûr que ça apporterait beaucoup à sa chambre en un rien de temps! J’aime bien leurs motifs featherland, les croix suisses, les triangles ou chevrons, les motifs de flèche, le “deer in the mountain”, le “serpentine 774”, le “vancouver rain”, le “spiraling spirals”, le “how the moon affects the tides” et le “dark blue splash”, mais mon coup de coeur absolu ce sont les papiers peints floraux un peu Art Nouveau “Lilies” et “Woodblock” de la collection William Morris. J’aime également beaucoup le pale yellow plum on palegreen, bref autant dire que j’aime la moitié de leur site! (Bon, y’a aussi des trucs super kitsch, comme ceux avec les Yorkshire!…)
    Et là où tu viens de signer ma ruine, c’est qu’ils font des tissus aussi. Voilà. Ceci est la fin de mon compte en banque. Merci hein 😉

Bah oui quoi y’a pas de raison que je sois la seule a me ruiner, non mais 😉 Je suis tombee amoureuse du farmer’s market des que je l’ai vu, il est trop beau – je l’ai aussi commande en papier cadeau puisqu’ils font du papier cadeau aussi! J’ai pas encore essaye leurs tissus mais ca ne saurait tarder 😉

3. Olivia Parks says:

This removable wallpaper is amazing!

4. I absolutely LOVE that Farmers Market print! I am in the process of doing an office/playroom and the colors are so perfect for an accent wall!!

I totally agree with you Jenni! An entire room in this pattern would be too much, but an accent wall like I did works great :)

5. emily says:

such a great post! not only does your wallpaper look amazing, but your tips are fantastic. thanks for sharing!

6. julia says:

I’m late to the post and new to the site, but I’m wondering just how easy it is to remove. What is the process? I’ve been wanting to wallpaper the guest bathroom, but we are renting.

Very easy! I actually removed all of the wallpaper you see in this post since we moved out of our rental and into our new home – and it was so easy to remove! Use a sponge and lots of water on the paper to dissolve the glue, and take down the paper. If there is a bit of glue left on the wall, just wash it off with water. Super easy! I actually plan on putting more of this paper in our new home – this way I can change it whenever I feel like it :)

7. Brenda Davidson says:

I’m unable to access the removable wallpaper sites because encrypted google never loads for me. I would rather not allow all the tracking cookies required for access.

8. correy says:

just stumbled on this super awesome resource. (thank you!!)

question about the lining paper. is that removable as well? did you have any trouble with residue when taking that down from the walls?

Hi Correy! The lining is also removable and was super easy to remove also – it make a big difference if you have bumpy walls :) A tiny bit of glue residue after you take it off but you can easily wipe it off with water :)

9. Amy W says:

With our upcoming move to a rental home, I just opened like 18 tabs from this post of yours! First off, gorgeous choices in your home, I dying over both that you shared above. I can’t wait to check out all the other information and tips you shared.

10. Nadine Rose says:

Hi I’ve read that temporary wallpaper is not for use on walls that have a matte finish paint (which is the white paint that is used in my apartment building as its cheaper) and it will most likely damage the wall. I saw that you listed wallpaper lining, is this a peel and stick? and is this your recommendation for not damaging and easier removal?

Hi Nadine – Spoonflower has two version of wallpaper now, one is water activated and one is a peel and stick so that should work for your walls!

11. Kristy says:

Hi! I love your style!

I am thinking about trying the removable wallpaper. I was wondering if you remember the name of the Spoonflower design referenced above as ‘6.’? It is the bottom, right image with the yellow folksy animals on the white background.

12. Natalie says:

Hi there! This is absolutely beautiful and I love your color and pattern choices! Was wondering though: about how much did it cost to do one wall? I used their calculator and it’s coming out to about $500 for just one small wall, which seems insane.

All the walls I’ve done were smaller, so it came out to about $200 per wall for me. But yes, if you are dealing with a bigger wall it can get pricey!

Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] What a rain of 8 million flower petals looks like 2. I’m floored by the possibilities of removable wallpaper (patterns used to be so limited) 3. Happy wrapping that reminds me of watermelon 4. Please note, […]

2. […] how to decorate with removable wallpaper, very […]

3. […] and I was so happy to find removable wallpaper on Spoonflower with the design I wanted! I took my own advice and used a liner first since our walls aren’t that smooth – it helped so much! I […]