A rolling herb garden + neon plant markers

Today I’ve got something fun to share with you, a little something that I set up in our new home in Berkeley – this herb garden on casters! A few weeks back I saw this mint kitchen cart in heaven IKEA, and just had to have it even though I had no clue what I’d do with it- envision my husband rolling his eyes in IKEA and thinking “great, more c**p in the house”. He’ll forgive me I know ;) Anyway, last week a couple of my herb pots landed on it and I figured, wouldn’t it be fun to make this cart a little rolling garden?!

And when I saw Oh Joy’s new studio (that gorgeous mint smeg fridge!), I knew right there I had my inspiration to update this little cart. I love what Joy did with her Ikea furniture, and thought I’d put her DIY to a test. A bit of gold contact paper, some washi tape and voila. So easy! And the best part is, you get tired of it…you tear it all apart and you can start over with new colors and a new style. I’ve said this before, but I am so deeply in love with contact paper….and washi tape….and casters – after all, all of our toy boxes are on casters!

FIY, you’ll might notice that a few of the plants on the cart are fake plastic plants from IKEA. Yeaaaaah, so about that…well, I figured that, with my famous black thumb and all, I’d better include something that I know will stay green in the long term ;) But aside from the fake plants, I included a bunch of cooking herbs and plants (sage, basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, cilantro, etc), as well as a few flowers that you can cook with (lavender, violets). I hope I can keep this garden green and growing!

The best thing about a having a garden on wheels is that I can put it outside when the weather is nice, bring it home if it’s too cold and even put it in different rooms in the house depending on when the sun falls over the seasons.

And to go along with this little garden of mine, I made some fun plant markers using wooden plant markers, chalkboard contact paper and washi tape. Again super easy! Originally I was planning on using a liquid chalk pen, but then I figured I wanted the names to stay on, so I used a white sharpie instead. The rest is history :)

Maddie's first birthday bash
Hello. Nice to meet you.
Peppermint Sugar scrub on Say Yes to Hoboken
DIY birth announcements in a box {Guest post by Kelly from Studio DIY}
Comments
17 Responses to “A rolling herb garden + neon plant markers”
  1. Ju says:

Hi Audrey !
    I discovered your blog a few weeks ago and haven’t missed a post ever since. It’s a beautiful, happy and inspiring place :)
    I love this little garden of yours. The fake plants would suit me as well in between real herbs !
    I’ve just moved in a new house as well, and this idea will be on my ‘to do list’ for new year plantations ! (I’m French, from Paris area, so the nice weather won’t apply here until… a long time ! I can still get the markers ready meanwhile !)
    Congrats on the lovely projects you share here !

Julie – your comment totally made my day :) Thanks so much for stopping by, and glad you like the blog. You’re so right, I already forgot what seasons are like after just a month in California ;) Take care!

2. I love this! I just recently bought one of these carts myself for my sewing supplies — a decidedly less cute purpose. And I’m right there with you on the black thumb. I just created this terrarium for my dining room table, and I grimace at the thought that I’ll probably have killed it within the month (if I’m lucky).

3. I am a new reader, and I am so glad I started following!! This is such a great idea and it was put together so well!! Love love love!!

4. Julia says:

What a cool idea to use this cart. I have one in my kitchen as well since lately – it’s filled with spices:
    I’m now thinking about decorating it with masking tape, too. Thanks!

Also great for spices indeed! Mine are always around taking too much counter space. Send pictures once you’ve decorated with masking tape, want to see what you do!

5. Lisa says:

I love it Audrey I have been trying to figure out away to grow herbs for awhile now and this seems like an awesome idea! Let me know how it works out ;)

6. Aaaah, now I see, ;-) . I left a comment over at Ikea-Hackers to ask if watering the plants isn’t a bit difficult, but now I see, some of them are artificial… Uh well. I like the idea, but I’m not sure I’d want artificial stuff in such a cart, so I keep my fingers crossed that your black thumb will grow green, ;-) .

I like the plant markers, though, and might try it out.

So long,
    Corinna

Hi Corinna – Only a couple of the plants in there are artificial, not so many. Watering isn’t difficult, you just need a watering can with a long spout. Also, because the garden is on wheels, you can turn it around while watering and it makes it very easy to reach all of the plants actually. Hope this helps!

7. Jess says:

Love love love! My plants are slowly taking over my living room, and this would be the perfect solution! Looks like an IKEA trip is in my future!

8. Anna says:

Love it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

9. Lamirose says:

I really love this …trop mignon.
    Very good idea…hope I can find room for something like this in my tiny apartment

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] Audrey also fashioned some cute plant markers out of chalkboard contact paper and washi tape. You can get the directions over at her blog. [...]

2. [...] via THE LITTLE STREET via GLITTER GUIDE via I Just Might Explode via HEARTHANDMADE via Mommyish via Lovely Cupboard via [...]