{let’s be honest} the 72-hour day

Life in instagrams. Are you addicted to instagram too?

A couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine sent me an email to ask me where on earth I disappeared to since she hadn’t heard from me in a while despite her attempts to contact me. She was rightly angry in her email, and let’s be honest, I panicked a bit….ok, a lot. I panicked because I don’t consider myself a bad friend, and I don’t want to be a bad friend.But sadly I was a bad friend to her, and probably to a few others who haven’t said anything to me.

The truth is, life got a hell of a lot busier lately – and when I mean lately, I mean since having kids. I let my family take over the rest of my life- and I am not saying that’s a bad thing, because my husband and my girls need me and I need them oh so much. And I just didn’t realize I wasn’t taking the time to be here for old friends.

I have always been a high achiever, always done a lot (in college I was the kind of girl taking 20+ credits while having a part time job and being president of a couple student clubs on campus. Yes, like I said, a total overachiever. But I always liked it that way, making the most of my 24 hours. But now that I have a family, it’s like 24 hours aren’t enough anymore. If I had 48, or heck, even 72-hour days, then I’d probably get to do all of the things that are on my list: work on my relationship with hubby, take good care of my little girls, make new friends, keep old friends, work on creative projects, start a business, go to school to keep on learning, cook good food, volunteer, explore the world…..you get it, the list goes on. Some days I feel like I am doing a heck of a job and juggling many balls with grace…and then other days the balls just go crashing to the floor and I just feel like I am failing miserably at everything in my life – days when I feel like I can’t do any of those things right because there are just too many of them and I can’t give enough attention to any of the things that are important to me.

So I am asking you, my dear readers – how do you spend these 24 precious hours of your day? How to do keep your focus on what is important? Do you ever have regrets about things that just won’t fit in your life?

Soulful + Honest
Sipping a margarita on the beach...
Going out is going in
2016 calendar (free printable!)
Comments
11 Responses to “{let’s be honest} the 72-hour day”
  1. Georgette says:

Love your latest post Audrey! I TOTALLY know how you feel and 100% completely feel the same. I too look bad on all the things I “used” to do and be a part of in high school, in college and before kids. I look at what I have done since and I’m not where I thought I would be career-wise and all, yet at the same time I cannot imagine my life without my family either. That would have been the sacrafice. Instead I choose to work part-time to be with them more.
    24 hours is definitely not enough and when it comes to the family it’s hard to make time for anything else, outside of work that is. I regret not working out, taking care of myself like I used to, doing my crafts and spending more time with friends. It’s hard to do it all and as the kids get older it will become easier to do more of the “other things.” You are doing an awesome job though and don’t forget that.

I know what you mean, sometimes when I think about the past it makes me sad to realized how I have stopped doing so many of the things that I used to really really love (like salsa dancing). But then again, my life right now is filled with things I also love. Like the say, something’s gotta give. I wish it wasn’t the case though, but like you said, it will get easier once the kids get bigger.

2. I can totally relate. Ironically, I just wrote about my own struggles, and finding my way back into a healthier rhythm yesterday. It’s such a struggle to maintain something that resembles balance, especially when kids are sick, etc. I think just recognizing when we need to adjust is half the battle!

It is so hard to find that balance, right? seems like there are always things getting in the way! We’ll get there though :)

3. This is so true – as soon as you have kids it gets harder and harder to find room in your life for everything, esp old friends. Sigh. My mom used to say ‘you can have it all, just not all at once.’ And that really helped me let go of some of the guilt. There’s a time for everything in life, and right now I have to accept that most of my time goes to my family.

I would have loved to meet your mum, seems like she was such an amazing woman. What she said is so true…..not all at once. I’ll need to remember that next time I get frustrated.

4. Ugh yes — ALL the time. I have a tendency to try to squeeze too much in too and it really gets at me sometimes… but I guess it’s good, I could be bored, and maybe that’s worse. :)

haha. Are you a Queen of Multitasking too? With all the thing we want to do it seems like * just* doing one thing isn’t acceptable. Cleaning while singing songs to the kids, watching a show while working on the computer….like you said, being bored isn’t a problem we have :)

5. kate says:

my kids love cracking eggs – no matter what we’re making, that’s always the part they like the best.

6. CiaoChessa says:

I don’t know anyone, parent or not, who doesn’t wish they didn’t have more hours in their day. I think about all that I could do with just a few more hours of time for my family, friends, and let’s face it…for myself! I am ALWAYS rushing. Rushing to read, clean, cook, get home in time for pick-up, wake up in time for breakfast and drop-off, work, take photos, work on new photos…Something always suffers and that’s just the way it’s been. I just try to take a deep breath and remember that somehow it usually all gets done and everything is fine. I also remind myself that it’s ok to sit for a minute and just relax. I feel like I’m the best wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister I can be if I take a time out for myself (even if I wish that time out was a little longer)…and whatever doesn’t get done today will surely be done tomorrow (or the next day). :)

or the next 😉 You are so right about the whole “taking time for ourselves” thing. I don’t do it enough. Thanks for the reminder :)